Ada Connection – Aug 28, 2019
A Note From The Principal
A New School Year
We are so thankful and thrilled to welcome 14 new students to ACS in grades 1-7. We have 60 kindergarten students enrolled and 129 preschool students registered! God is blessing us with new families. Thank you for sharing ACS with others. We want to educate as many kids for Christ as we can.
A Warm Welcome
ACS is pleased to welcome these new members to our team.
Mrs. Erin Osborn, Middle School Aide.
Mrs. Keri Lemkuil, Inclusion Specialist.
Mr. Tom Stepanek, 5/6 grade teacher.
Mr. Casey Meyaard, Middle School PE & 7th grade Bible.
Mr. Manny Schrotenboer, Covenant Care Aide.
Mrs. Melissa Hoekzema, OE Grounds Assistant.
School Theme 2019-2020 Theme
We will focus on being: perfectly formed, sinfully broken, and mercifully transformed:
“Yet you, Lord, are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.” - Isaiah 64:8
Help your children and their classmates get the day off to a smooth start by arriving by 7:55am.
- Classes begin at 8:00am.
- Students not in their classrooms by 8:00am will be marked tardy.
- Hallway doors will remain open until 8:05am.
- Students arriving after 8:05am need to sign in at the office.
Important Student Information Forms
Several student information forms (K-8) are ready for you to complete (emergency authorization, chaperone agreement etc). These forms were due on the first day of school.
To complete the forms:
- Log into your PowerSchool parent portal.
- Select Ecollect Forms
- Complete all forms under the category Back to School Forms.
- Please note that some forms need to be filled out for each child while others may be submitted for the whole family.
Note: Middle School students may not attend the retreat on Aug 29 if these forms are not completed.
ACS is happy to provide hot lunch again this year. Here’s a few of the highlights.
All families K-8 need to have an active Send Money to School account for the 19-20 school year. You must set up an account before your child may eat. If you already have an account you will still need to log in and connect your students.
You will need Student ID number(s) for your child(ren) which you can find next to your child's name when logging into PowerSchool.
1. Create an account
- Visit https://www.sendmoneytoschool.com/ to set up your account.
- Select “Grand Rapids Christian” as your school district.
- Select "Ada Christian" as your school.
- Add your students to your account using student ID number.
2. Add money to your account
You can add any amount of money at any time.
3. Review the menu (640 KB PDF)
Free and Reduced Lunch applications are available at www.lunchapp.com Select Grand Rapids Christian as your school district.
Please note: if you received free or reduced lunch benefits last year, you need to reapply each year. Please go to Lunchapp.com and fill out the application online. If we do not receive your application prior to September 9th, your benefits will end and your child(ren) will need to have money in their account to take hot lunch or breakfast at the high school. If you have specific questions, please email Jill at gro.scrg@gadnozj .
You will receive an email this weekend with password and ordering instructions. K-8 order forms will come home with your child tomorrow.
Car Safety First
Please, for everyone’s safety:
- Back into parking spaces in the afternoon
- Don’t drive through the cross walk when leaving the parking lot
- Cell phones ARE NOT allowed while driving in the parking lot
There are a number of details of which you need to be aware. Please review the list below to become familiar with some basic requirements.
- Latex Balloons And Pets: These are dangerous to our students with allergies and therefore are not allowed at school.
- Vacation Absences: Parents, if you are taking students out of school for a family vacation, please write or email (email addresses are in the front of your directories) a note of explanation to the school office and your student’s teacher at least one week prior to the absence.
- Leaving Early From School: When you pick up your child(ren) before the end of the day, you must first come to the office to sign them out, and then the office will call them from their room. (Please do not tell your child(ren) to come wait in the office for you and do not go to their classroom to get them).
- Cell Phone Numbers: ACS will not give out cell phone numbers that are given to us on the emergency form. We use those numbers as contact for emergencies only. Please be sure to exchange cell phone numbers with your friends that you want to have those cell numbers.
- Tardies or Early Dismissals, and Appointments: All students who arrive late or leave before the end of the school day must go to the office to sign in or out. School begins at 8:00am. The first minutes of the day are important for devotions and announcements, and your child should not miss them. Please send a note or email to the teacher the day before, if you plan on being late the next morning due to an appointment.
- Messages: Please call before 2:30pm in order for the office to have time to give the message to your child.
- Leaving Phone Messages: Please instruct/train your children to leave a message on your home phone and/or cell phone if they call home during the school day. If it is an emergency, we will continue to call until we reach you.
- School Closings Or Delays: If fog or weather conditions result in a two hour delay or closing being necessary, local TV and radio stations will list Ada Christian School. Since many of our students are bused by Forest Hills Public Schools, we close when they do during weather emergencies. If Lowell Public Schools closes and Forest Hills Schools remain open, Ada Christian School will remain open, but the Ada Christian buses to Lowell will not run and those parents will need to bring their students into school that day and pick up at the end of the day.
Attention New Students
Birth Certificates: Any student new to Ada Christian School, Kindergarten - 8th (2019-2020 school year) must bring to the office a copy of his/her birth certificate. This is required by law in the state of Michigan. The office will make a copy for you.
Immunization Forms: Immunization forms are due now. By state law the school must have this form on file for your child by the start of school. If this form is not in, please turn it in yet this week or call Sharon DeJong in the office at 616.676.1289 to let her know when it will be arriving.
Advisory To Parents (as required by Michigan Department of Agriculture)
As part of Ada Christian School’s pest management program, pesticides are occasionally applied. You have the right to be informed of any pesticide application made to the school grounds or building. In certain emergencies, pesticides may be applied without prior notice, but you will be provided notice following any such application. If you need prior notification, please email Mr. Jeff Droge, school custodian (gro.naitsirhcada@egordj).
Now You Know
We are very excited to begin a new school year and to get back to singing God’s praises in Gathering Time Wednesday mornings from 9:15-9:45am.
Parents are welcome to come and worship with us however:
- Please arrive by 9:15 as students often get distracted by the clicking/buzzing of doors when parents arrive late.
- We also ask that the students stay seated with their class during the worship time, even if their parent is present.
We want to worship our Lord wholeheartedly and hope that these simple changes will encourage a more meaningful worship time for all.
-Mrs. Vruwink and the Elementary Staff
Rauch Family Fundraiser
Consider supporting the Rauch Family through their golf outing fundraiser. Sign up now!
Riding for Ryan
In memory of Ryan Marsman Riding for Ryan bike flags will be available at the Back to School Picnic and Carnival next Wednesday, Sept 04 for Kindergarten-4th grade students, due to a limited supply at this time.
Additional flags will be available later on in September.
Education Foundation Dinner - Thursday, Oct 17
Join us for an exciting night of inspiration and motivation as we celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the Ada Christian School Education Foundation and welcome Keni Thomas, U.S. Army Veteran of the “Black Hawk Down” Mission. Drawing from his experiences on the battlefield, Keni shares an inspired Christian view of our greater purpose and calls on people to “use their gifts” and “lead by example”. Keni left the Army to pursue his music career and now works full-time as an award winning country music artist in Nashville.
Another highlight of this year’s dinner is the presentation of the Distinguished Service Award to Neil and Gwen Kraay, long-time ACS and ACS Education Foundation supporters.
Parents, grandparents and friends of ACS are encouraged to join us at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel on Oct 17. We offer table sponsorships (tables of eight) and individual tickets.
Don't wait to let us know you can join us, sponsorship and tickets are available now!
Questions, Contact Mark Stuit, Director of Advancement (gro.naitsirhcada@tiutsm)
Back To School Picnic And Carnival
Come one and come all! Wed, Sept 04 from 6:00-8:00pm. One wristband allows your preschool through 8th grade student to play all the carnival games and rides. Buy your wristbands early and save! Advance purchase wristbands are $12 while wristbands sold at the door are $15. We will have wristbands available in the office Aug 27-Sept 04.
PTO Volunteer Opportunities - Thank You
We are overwhelmed with gratitude at the full up sign-up sheets for the year! What an incredibly beautiful spirit of involvement and servanthood we are blessed with as a school, thank you so much. It so very important to us that everyone has an opportunity to be involved in our events. If you have your heart set on a certain event and you didn’t have the chance to sign up, or the spots were full - please don’t hesitate to reach out to me and I will make sure that you are connected. Promise!
Also, stay tuned to the Connection throughout the year, we will absolutely be posting more opportunities to jump right in.
Holly Karasinski (616.901.8882, moc.liamg@4322kylloh)
Direct Your Dollars
BBQ, watermelons, popsicles . . . make use of all those fun summer purchases by submitting your receipts. Last year we practically hit a goal from the summer collections alone!
The money earned through this program goes directly back to our students through the PTO. Ask your family and friends to save receipts too! Every little bit helps. Deposit your receipts in the marked container on the office counter.
Questions? Please contact Kristen Yeh (moc.oohay@hey_netsirk, 616.307.2488).
Looking for a way to connect with parents who have children in the same grade as you do? Please join us right after school drop off for a time of food and fellowship in the ShEd! This year we are excited to be serving Starbucks coffee!
Sept 10 – Kindergarten class coffee
Sept 11 – 1st grade class coffee
Sept 12 – 2nd grade class coffee
Sept 17 – 3rd grade class coffee
Sept 18 – 4th grade class coffee
Sept 19 – 5-8th grade class coffee
Fall soccer: Begins Saturday, Sept 07.
Fall Running club: Wednesdays, 3:00-4:15pm beginning Sept 11. Email Coach DK (gro.naitsirhcada@enielkeds) to sign up.
Want more details about PurePlay? Visit our website.
Please remember ACS asks for a full commitment from student athletes who participate in athletics through ACS. This means attending all practices and games. If you have questions about potential conflicts please contact Angela VanDuyn at firstname.lastname@example.org before registering.
Aug 28-29 – Picture Day
Aug 30-Sept 02 – No School (Labor Day)
Sept 4 - Back to School Picnic and Carnival 6:00-8:00pm
Sept 10 - K-8 Orientation 6:30pm
Sept 10 - Picture Retakes - must call the office if you wish to have retakes or gro.naitsirhcada@gnojeds
Sept 27 - No Forest Hills bus transportation at 3:00pm
Sept 30 - No School (In-Service Day)
Oct 17 - Education Foundation Dinner
Oct 21 - Parent/Teacher Conferences 5:30-8:30pm
Oct 22 - Parent/Teacher Conferences 4:30-7:30pm
Oct 23-25 - No Schools (Teacher Convention)
Voice and Ukulele Lessons
Mrs. Vruwink is offering weekly after school lessons for voice and ukulele this fall. If interested, please contact her at gro.naitsirhcada@kniwurvk.
All girls in PK-6th grade: The 25th annual GRCHS Fall Junior Cheer program is back! This year, the Junior Cheer clinics will be held on Monday, September 23 and Monday, Sept 30. Registration takes place immediately prior to the Sept 23 clinic from 3:30–4:00pm. Clinics will be held in the Quest Center at Grand Rapids Christian High School and will begin at 3:50pm. and end at 5:15pm. Cost of the two clinics is $25 (checks to GR Christian Cheer) and include a long-sleeve t-shirt, after school snacks, and a ticket into the game. The Junior Cheer game is scheduled for Friday, Oct 04, which is also the GRCHS Homecoming game against the Thornapple-Kellogg Trojans. If you are unable to accompany your daughter to the first clinic on Sept 23, you may pre-register by contacting Varsity Cheer Coach, Jacquie DeJonge, at 616.949.7516 and leave a message with your name and cell number.