First grade is exciting year where students show much growth academically, socially and spiritually. Our units are developed in a way that integrates Biblical truth in Language Arts, math, science and social studies. We are helping students to build a solid academic foundation, to learn to love Jesus, and to learn to care for others.
- Phonemic awareness – Phonics and rhyming words, long and short vowels, diagraphs, vowel teams, blends
- Comprehension strategies – making compare/contrast, drawing conclusions, analyzing plot, details and main idea within a story, summarizing, problem/solution, cause and effect, sight words, context clues, self correcting
- Writing – personal, Narrative, Poetry, Realistic, Fiction, Letter, Information, Research, Mechanics, Use lower case letters consistently; spacing between words, punctuation
- Penmanship – correct formation of numbers, correct formation of upper and lower case letters
- Spelling (Rebecca Sitton Program) – high frequency words, sight words, phonetic based words
- Numbers – Number grid patterns, counting patterns by 1's, 2’s, 5’s, 10’s, 25’s and 100’s, odd/even, place value, knows number facts for fact families to 18, data collection and graphs, number stories and problem solving
- Fractions – introduce and compare fractions
- Measurements – use the standard units of inch and centimeter and accurately measure a unit
- Geometry – two and three dimensional shapes
- Time – learning the hour and half hour, telling time to the nearest five minutes
- Money – counting, showing amounts, and making exchanges (dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies)
God’s amazing creation of Plants and Animals, Air and Weather, Light and Sound.
- Old Testament – stories which include Creation, Patriarchs, slavery to the Promised Land, Judges and Ruth, Kings and David
- New Testament – stories about Jesus’ birth and Resurrection
- Devotions – involve discussion, worship and prayer
- Bible – memory work / various verses are memorized each month
- Weekly chapel/Gathering Time with K–4th Grade
- All school chapels
In 1st grade, students continue developing locomotor and non-locomotor skills. Basic sport skills are introduced and practiced as well. As always, there is a lot of movement and activity during each PE class. We also talk about taking care of the bodies God has given us and being a good classmate. Visit the Gym Times site to learn more.
Field Trips & Highlights
Camp Roger, Dutch Village, Grand Rapids Symphony Orchestra concerts for children