A bus was purchased and students were transported to Baldwin Christian School in Grand Rapids. By 1949, 60 children rode the bus to school each day. In 1950, the Ada Christian Society recognized the need for a 2 room school building. At the dedication service on Aug 31, 1951, Dr. John Van Bruggen challenged parents and teachers with their greatest task at Ada Christian School: to maintain a school in which all of the teaching is in accordance with God’s Word, and in which God is given all the glory due His name.
The building was renovated 13 times and the number of students grew from 62 to 300 over the next fifty years. The school also added a preschool program and began to serve over 100 children at Ada Christian Preschool. As space was needed in the coming years, portable classrooms were added. In 1986 a fund raising effort yielded the money needed to add eight new classrooms along with a media center, computer lab, art and music rooms, new athletic fields and a new playground.
It was not long and that beautiful new space was overflowing and portable classrooms began to appear again! In the year 2000, the school began a momentous venture toward the construction of a new school. After purchasing 37 acres at the corner of Ada Drive and Fox Hollow and spending two years in preparation, the School Society began the supervision of the construction of the new school. The building process was completed in the summer of 2002, and that September students began school in their new facility at 6206 Ada Drive.
The words of our graduates, teachers and parents tell the true story of God’s faithfulness to us and our faithful response as his loving children! We have dedicated faculty and staff that share the time honored desire and commitment to teach students the wonders of God’s creation, to acknowledge his dominion over all things, share his love and to nurture a desire to give back with thankful and joyful hearts. Ada Christian School serves more students than in our early years, and the methods of education have changed much over time. However, the goal has remained close to that expressed at the original dedication service in 1951: to maintain a school in which all of the teaching is in accordance with God’s Word, and in which God is given all the glory due His name.