Ada Connection – Sept 09, 2015
A Note from Principal Brower
Equipping Students for Service in God's World
With a few weeks under our belts, we are happy to report that the ebb and flow of our new school year is off to a great start. What a blessing to embark on another year of partnering with you to equip our students for service in God’s world.
At Ada Christian School, each and every teacher and staff member works to provide the best possible education for your child. Ada Christian teachers use daily work samples, quizzes, informal screening, and teacher-student conferencing to monitor student growth. In addition, we use a school-wide formal assessment called Discovery Education Assessment (DEA).
We will be using the DEA again this year as an informative tool to monitor student progress in the areas of Math and Reading. Unlike more traditional standardized tests that students take only once each year, the DEA is given three times per school year and allows teachers immediate access to the results. With the results readily available, teachers can identify both individual student needs and trends within their classroom. They utilize this information to guide instructional delivery that is geared toward your child’s individual needs.
Students will be participating on different days and at different times throughout the next three weeks. Your child’s teacher will be able to share the specific dates with you.
DEA scores for your student are sent home in June with their final report card.
If it is your desire to have your child NOT participate in this assessment process, please complete a form that is available in the office by this Friday, Sept 11.
Your Partners in Christian Education,
Melissa Brower & Julie DeKoster
Help Wanted - Thursday Lunch Recess Duty
Help is needed with lunch recess duty on Thursdays from 12:25-1:03pm. Siblings are welcome to join you for recess duty.
Contact Sue Prins (gro.naitsirhcada@snirps) to sign up to help.
Hot Lunch – Ready to Go?
Hot Lunch for September has just started and is looking good. However, the kitchen crew could use a few more hands on Tuesdays from 11:15-12:30pm – note: due to the cooking of food/hot ovens, etc we can’t accommodate younger children/siblings of students. Contact Sue Prins (email@example.com) to sign up to help.
How it works
Hot Lunch is ordered on a monthly basis. Lunches are served Monday through Thursday. You order a month in advance (for example: Sept 01-10 for October, Oct 01-10 for November, etc.) You may order as much or as little as your student will eat. As in years past, families will be placing orders for hot lunch through the school's website. We have updated the site with the new class lists and contact information for all of our families.
If you HAVE A USERNAME/ACCOUNT FROM LAST YEAR – you can continue to use your existing account on our website.
If you are NEW TO ACS – you will need to find and claim the user account that we have set up for your household. Please visit – http://www.adachristian.org/claim-account – and enter your last name to search for your account. Locate your information and click the link that says "this is me.” When you claim your account, you should see fields where you can set the username, password and email address you'd like to use with the account. Once you complete this step, you can order lunch for your children by clicking the "Order Hot Lunch" link on your My Account page.
For the month of October, your order must be placed between Sept 01 and Sept 10. Please do yours TODAY.
Questions? Please email Sue Prins (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Elementary Parent Information Evening
Thursday, Sept 10 – 7:00-8:30pm.
FREE SHIPPING on ACS Logo Wear – Sept 08-15
Share our school spirit and be ready for "Faith. Strong." Fridays on the first Friday of each month. Click on the ACS Logo Wear button on http://www.adachristian.org to see T's, sweatshirts, jackets, shorts and much more. Some of the available products are on display in our lobby.
The Preschool staff is looking forward to seeing smiling preschool faces filling our halls. We were glad to meet so many parents recently as well.
Thursday, Sept 10
Tues/Thur AM open house – 8:30-9:30am
Mon/Tues/Wed/Thur and Mon/Wed/Thurs PM open house – 12:20-1:20pm
Friday, Sept 11
Mon/Wed/Fri AM open house – 8:30-9:30am
Young 5's PM open house – 12:20-1:20pm
Sept 14 & 15
First days of preschool!
PTO Happenings & Volunteer Page
Thank you to everyone who has already signed up for various activities throughout the year!
- We are still looking for 3 volunteers to chair the Fall Rummage Sale on Oct 17. If you are interested, contact Rachel Boville or Dawn Raymond, or go directly to the volunteer spot link below to our group page through http://www.adachristian.org/volunteer.
- Thank you to everyone who has signed up to be a room parent! Our Room Parent Orientation is this Friday, Sept 11, at 8:15am in the conference room. Please contact Room Parent Coordinator Dawn Norman (email@example.com) if you are unable to attend.
We are in the midst of our PTO Fall Fundraiser.
- Your child should have received a packet last week – if you need one stop by the office.
- We have some great sales prizes this year, including a front row parking spot for the entire school year, and student principal for the morning!
- The program runs through Sept 15. Our fundraising goal is achieved if every ACS student sells at least $50 worth of merchandise. Charleston gives us a 50% profit on sales.
- If you would rather make a straight donation to the PTO, simply make a check to ACS PTO and enclose it in the Charleston envelope with a note indicating that. We appreciate your participation and support!
Mark your calendars and plan to join us for upcoming class coffees! All of our parents, moms and dads, are invited to join us for class coffees held in parent homes from 9:00-10:30am on the following dates.
- Sept 16 – 1st Grade
- Sept 18 – Kindergarten
- Sept 23 – 2nd Grade
- Sept 25 – 3rd Grade
- Sept 30 – 4th Grade
- Oct 02 – 5th Grade
School Party – Come and Be Creative!
- The first school party is coming up Monday, Sept 28, 1:00-5:00pm at The Mud Room on Ada Dr and Fulton.
- Cost is $5.00 work fee plus the cost of whatever you choose to paint.
- There is limited space, so first come first served.
Email Amberly Hoyer (moc.loa@reyohylrebma) if you have questions.
Moms in Prayer
- Please join us tomorrow, Thursday Sept 10, 8:00-9:00am in the office conference room for an informal coffee and conversation hour as we seek to answer any questions you may have about Moms in Prayer.
- This is the perfect opportunity to meet the moms involved, learn more about the ministry of Moms In Prayer, discover ways our group supports ACS, and discern whether you are called to join us at this season in your life.
- Personally, it was a hard choice for me to step out of my comfort zone and join a Mom's In Prayer group, but I am so glad I did! I hope you will consider it, too. Prayer changes everything!
Sept 01-15 – Charleston Wrap Fundraiser
Sept 01-10 – Hot Lunch ordering window open for October orders
Sept 10 & 11 – Preschool Open House
Sept 10 – Elementary Parent Orientation (7:00pm)
Sept 14 & 15 – First Day for Preschool
Sept 28 – No School (Professional Development)
Oct 8 & 9 - School Pictures
Oct 12 – No Forest Hills Bus Transportation (AM)
For all up to date announcements, schedules, sport sign-ups please visit our ACS 5-8 Athletic Website at: www.adachristian.org/wildcats
PurePlay (Y5-4th Grade)
PurePlay Soccer begins Saturday, Sept 12 with a meet & greet and practice – Boys at 9:00am, Girls at 10:00am. T-shirts will be handed out. Bring ball, wear shin guards and be ready to go!
Running Club begins Wednesday, Sept 09 from 3:00-4:00pm. Meet in the North gym ready to run!
Wildcats Athletics (Grades 5-8)
Winter basketball – Sign-ups for grades 5-8 are now open. You can find the registration form on the Wildcats Athletics site – http://www.adachristian.org/wildcats – under Winter Sports. The fee per student to play basketball this winter is $50.00. The deadline for sign-ups is Sept 24.
If you have any questions regarding the ACS sport season please contact:
5th & 6th Grade Athletics – Carly Prins (gro.naitsirhcada@snirpc)
7th & 8th Grade Athletics – Angela VanDuyn (gro.naitsirhcada@nyudnava)