Ada Connection – August 24, 2016
Notes From The Principal
A New School Year
Welcome to the '16-'17 school year at ACS. We are thrilled to be welcoming 16 new families to our school and to have more than 115 preschool students registered for this fall.
Although not all of our summer projects are complete, many are well underway and nearing the finish line. Watch the upcoming newsletters for details on a special dedication ceremony being planned for later this fall.
We value your partnership in Christian education and look forward to nurturing your children in mind, body and soul in Christian community.
A Warm Welcome
ACS is pleased to welcome these new members to our team.
Mr. Michael Sanderson, middle school math and science.
Mrs. Danya Yaffey, 3rd grade para-educator.
Mrs. Dawn Pastoor, 3rd grade para-educator.
Mrs. Susan Harrell, early intervention para-educator.
Mrs. Amber Wierenga, early intervention para-educator.
Please fill out both sides and return ASAP. If you cannot find yours, extras are available in the office. It is important that we have a complete and current emergency and permission form on file for each family.
Car Safety First!
Please, for everyone’s safety:
- Back into parking spaces in the afternoon
- Don’t drive through the cross walk when leaving the parking lot
- Cell phones ARE NOT allowed while driving in the parking lot
There are a number of details of which you need to be aware. Please review the list below to become familiar with some basic requirements.
- Latex Balloons And Pets: These are dangerous to our students with allergies and therefore are not allowed at school.
- Vacation Absences: Parents, if you are taking students out of school for a family vacation, please write or email (email addresses are in the front of your directories) a note of explanation to the school office and your student’s teacher at least one week prior to the absence.
- Leaving Early From School: When you pick up your child(ren) before the end of the day, you must first come to the office to sign them out, and then the office will call them from their room. (Please do not tell your child(ren) to come wait in the office for you and do not go to their classroom to get them).
- Cell Phone Numbers: ACS will not give out cell phone numbers that are given to us on the emergency form. We use those numbers as contact for emergencies only. Please be sure to exchange cell phone numbers with your friends that you want to have those cell numbers.
- Tardies or Early Dismissals, and Appointments: All students who arrive late or leave before the end of the school day must go to the office to sign in or out. SCHOOL BEGINS AT 8:00am. The first minutes of the day are important for devotions and announcements, and your child should not miss them. Please send a note or email to the teacher the day before, if you plan on being late the next morning due to an appointment.
- Messages: Please call before 2:30pm in order for the office to have time to give the message to your child.
- Leaving Phone Messages: Please instruct/train your children to leave a message on your home phone and/or cell phone if they call home during the school day. If it is an emergency, we will continue to call until we reach you.
- School Closings Or Delays: If fog or weather conditions result in a two hour delay or closing being necessary, local TV and radio stations will list Ada Christian School. Since many of our students are bused by Forest Hills Public Schools, we close when they do during weather emergencies. If Lowell Public Schools closes and Forest Hills Schools remain open, Ada Christian School will remain open, but the Ada Christian buses to Lowell will not run and those parents will need to bring their students into school that day and pick up at the end of the day.
Attention New Students
Birth Certificates: Any student new to Ada Christian School, Kindergarten - 8th (2016-2017 school year) must bring to the office a copy of his/her birth certificate. This is required by law in the state of Michigan. The office will make a copy for you.
Immunization Forms: IMMUNIZATION FORMS ARE DUE NOW. By state law the school must have this form on file for your child by the start of school. If this form is not in, please turn it in yet this week or call Sharon DeJong in the office at 616-676-1289 to let her know when it will be arriving.
Advisory To Parents (as required by Michigan Department of Agriculture)
As part of Ada Christian School’s pest management program, pesticides are occasionally applied. You have the right to be informed of any pesticide application made to the school grounds or building. In certain emergencies, pesticides may be applied without prior notice, but you will be provided notice following any such application. If you need prior notification, please email Mr. Bill (school custodian) at gro.naitsirhcada@namennevb
Action Needed – Thursday, Sept 08; 6:30 - 8:15pm
Parent Information Evenings
6:30 - 6:50pm Session 1 in classrooms
6:55 - 7:15pm Session 2 in classrooms
7:20 - 8:15pm Marcia McEvoy in the South Gym
6:30 - 7:15pm 6th Grade in the Media Center (session 1)
6:30 - 6:55pm 7th/8th Grade in the Commons
7:00 - 7:15pm 8th Grade in the Band Room
7th Grade in the Commons
7:20 - 8:15pm Marcia McEvoy in the South Gym
8:20 - 9:00pm 6th grade in the Media Center (repeat of session 1)
Mom, will you pray for me?
I don't know about you, but when I hear one of my kids ask me that question, it just about brings me to tears every time because it reminds me of the incredible privilege I have been given as a mom to participate in God's kingdom building. I've learned that when I pray, not only am I interceding on my child's behalf, but God is changing me, making me more aware of His power, grace and faithfulness. Prayer is such an amazing gift! I invite you to come join our Moms in Prayer Group every Thursday morning (8:00-9:00am) as we participate in this gift, reflect upon God's promises revealed in Scripture and pray His Word over our children, their teachers and the ACS community!
We start every season with an informal coffee as an opportunity for you to meet the other moms, learn about Moms in Prayer and ask questions. Please join us, Thursday Sept 22, 8:00-9:00am in the office conference room -- even if it is just for this one day. Younger siblings welcome!
Need more information? Contact Laura Cawley (616.425.9728, moc.oohay@57_csarual)
All coffees will be held in the ACS Outdoor Education classroom from 8:00 - 9:00 am. Childcare provided for K-5th grade class coffees.
Aug 29 - 1st grade class coffee
Aug 30 - Kindergarten class coffee
Aug 31 - 2nd grade class coffee
Sep 01 - 3rd grade class coffee
Sep 06 - 4th grade class coffee
Sep 07 - 5th grade class coffee
Sep 08 - Middle School (6-8th) class coffee
Aug 24 - Sep 03 – No Forest Hills Bus Transportation (AM & PM)
Aug 31 – Back to School Picnic and Carnival (6:00-8:00pm)
Sep 02 – No School
Sep 05 – No School
Sep 08 – Elementary and Middle School Parent Orientation (6:30 - 8:15pm)
Sep 26 – No School (Professional Development)
GRCHS Cheerleading Opportunity
Attention all girls in grades preschool - 6th grade: The 22nd annual GRCHS Fall Jr. Cheer program is back! This year, the Jr. Cheer clinics will be held on Tuesday, Sep 06 and Tuesday, Sep 13. Registration takes place immediately prior to the Sep 06 clinic from 3:30 - 4:00pm.
Clinics will be held in the Quest Center at Grand Rapids Christian High School and will begin at 3:50pm and end at 5:15pm (note that the first clinic on Sep 06 gets done just in time for the girls to join their families at EagleFest, Grand Rapids Christian Schools’ free back–to-school family BBQ at Eagles Stadium scheduled that night). The Jr. Cheer game is scheduled for Friday, Sep 16. If you are unable to accompany your daughter at the first clinic on Sep 06, you may pre-register by contacting Varsity Cheer Coach Jacquie DeJong (949-7516)