Ada Connection – Aug 22, 2018
A Note From The Principal
A New School Year
We have had a busy summer at school! Gardens have been tended; chickens and goats have been cared for; our building has been power washed, sealed, and caulked; our heating and cooling system has been updated; classrooms have been cleaned top to bottom; students have learned so many things in camps like Farm, Survival, Art, and Technology; our drive has new pavement (please do not park on it, yet); and so much more!
Now it is time for students to return, and we can hardly wait! We have so many engaging experiences planned for students as we partner with you to educate each and every student -- mind, body, and soul in Christian community.
Thank you for entrusting your children to us. We will do our very best to make sure your child has a great year of learning and growing with the goal of being equipped for service in God's world.
Waiting Upon the Lord,
We are so thankful and thrilled to welcome 21 new students to ACS in grades 1-7. We have 57 kindergarten students enrolled and 144 preschool students registered! God is blessing us with new families. Thank you for sharing ACS with others. We want to educate as many kids for Christ as we can.
A Warm Welcome
ACS is pleased to welcome these new members to our team.
Mrs. Jenny Bonnema, 1st grade teacher.
Mrs. Katy Casburn, 3rd grade teacher.
Mrs. Kristin Contant, 4th grade teacher.
Mrs. Callie Jonker, Preschool teacher.
Mrs. Allison Meyers, Covenant Care teacher.
Mrs. Jessica Reidsma, 5/6 teacher.
Mrs. Lisa Ritsema, 2nd grade teacher.
Mr. Jared Swanson, Covenant Care teacher.
Mrs. Mary Van Stee, Kindergarten Aide.
Mrs. Elizabeth Westhouse, bookkeeper.
School Theme 2018-2019
Wait Upon the LORD
This year we will focus on what it means to “Wait Upon the LORD”, inspired by Psalm 27:14 (NIRV) where God’s Word tell us:
“Wait for the LORD.
Be strong and don’t lose hope.
Wait for the LORD.”
Help your children and their classmates get the day off to a smooth start by arriving by 7:55am.
- Classes begin at 8:00am.
- Students not in their classrooms by 8:00am will be marked tardy.
- Hallway doors will remain open until 8:05am.
- Students arriving after 8:05am need to sign in at the office.
Important Student Information Forms
Several student information forms (K-8) are ready for you to complete (emergency authorization, chaperone agreement etc). These forms must be completed by Wed, Aug 29.
To complete the forms:
- Log into your PowerSchool parent portal.
- Select Ecollect Forms
- Complete all forms under the category Back to School Forms.
- Please note that some forms need to be filled out for each child while others may be submitted for the whole family.
Note: Middle School students may not attend the retreat on Aug 30 if these forms are not completed.
ACS is happy to provide hot lunch again this year, starting Sept 04. Here’s a few of the highlights.
All families K-8 need to have an active Send Money to School account for the 18-19 school year. You must set up an account before your child may eat. If you already have an account you will still need to log in and connect your students.
You will need Student ID number(s) for your child(ren) which you can find next to your child's name when logging into PowerSchool.
1. Create an account
- Visit https://www.sendmoneytoschool.com/ to set up your account.
- Select “Grand Rapids Christian” as your school district.
- Select "Ada Christian" as your school.
- Add your students to your account using student ID number.
2. Add money to your account
You can add any amount of money at any time.
3. Review the menu
Free and Reduced Lunch applications are available at www.lunchapp.com Select Grand Rapids Christian as your school district.
We need and appreciate our lunch volunteers, what a wonderful way to connect with others and see what your children are eating! Hot lunch volunteers are needed from 10:45am-1:15pm.
Moms and dads, your kids love to see you at school and the teachers are blessed beyond measure by your willingness to help keep our precious ones safe as they play, or in middle school "hang out". Because of your help, our teachers are only assigned 3 different recess duty slots instead of 5 - thank you! There will be clipboards on a table outside of school on Thursday morning that will articulate the times that are needed.
This year there will be 3 different recess times that need coverage each day:
5/6 – 11:35-12:00pm
7/8 – 11:55-12:20pm
K-4 – 12:25-1:05pm
Thought - you could come to school on the first Monday of the month from 11:35 - 1:05 and bless all of our teachers in one 90 minute window! Or maybe you would prefer to do that on the 4th Thursday of every month? The possibilities are vast!
Sharon DeKleine will be supervising our K-4 recess time and the MS staff will work with the 7/8 and 5/6 parents.
Have time to volunteer? Look for sign ups on Thursday.
Car Safety First
Please, for everyone’s safety:
- Back into parking spaces in the afternoon
- Don’t drive through the cross walk when leaving the parking lot
- Cell phones ARE NOT allowed while driving in the parking lot
There are a number of details of which you need to be aware. Please review the list below to become familiar with some basic requirements.
- Latex Balloons And Pets: These are dangerous to our students with allergies and therefore are not allowed at school.
- Vacation Absences: Parents, if you are taking students out of school for a family vacation, please write or email (email addresses are in the front of your directories) a note of explanation to the school office and your student’s teacher at least one week prior to the absence.
- Leaving Early From School: When you pick up your child(ren) before the end of the day, you must first come to the office to sign them out, and then the office will call them from their room. (Please do not tell your child(ren) to come wait in the office for you and do not go to their classroom to get them).
- Cell Phone Numbers: ACS will not give out cell phone numbers that are given to us on the emergency form. We use those numbers as contact for emergencies only. Please be sure to exchange cell phone numbers with your friends that you want to have those cell numbers.
- Tardies or Early Dismissals, and Appointments: All students who arrive late or leave before the end of the school day must go to the office to sign in or out. School begins at 8:00am. The first minutes of the day are important for devotions and announcements, and your child should not miss them. Please send a note or email to the teacher the day before, if you plan on being late the next morning due to an appointment.
- Messages: Please call before 2:30pm in order for the office to have time to give the message to your child.
- Leaving Phone Messages: Please instruct/train your children to leave a message on your home phone and/or cell phone if they call home during the school day. If it is an emergency, we will continue to call until we reach you.
- School Closings Or Delays: If fog or weather conditions result in a two hour delay or closing being necessary, local TV and radio stations will list Ada Christian School. Since many of our students are bused by Forest Hills Public Schools, we close when they do during weather emergencies. If Lowell Public Schools closes and Forest Hills Schools remain open, Ada Christian School will remain open, but the Ada Christian buses to Lowell will not run and those parents will need to bring their students into school that day and pick up at the end of the day.
Attention New Students
Birth Certificates: Any student new to Ada Christian School, Kindergarten - 8th (2018-2019 school year) must bring to the office a copy of his/her birth certificate. This is required by law in the state of Michigan. The office will make a copy for you.
Immunization Forms: Immunization forms are due now. By state law the school must have this form on file for your child by the start of school. If this form is not in, please turn it in yet this week or call Sharon DeJong in the office at 616.676.1289 to let her know when it will be arriving.
Advisory To Parents (as required by Michigan Department of Agriculture)
As part of Ada Christian School’s pest management program, pesticides are occasionally applied. You have the right to be informed of any pesticide application made to the school grounds or building. In certain emergencies, pesticides may be applied without prior notice, but you will be provided notice following any such application. If you need prior notification, please email Mr. Jeff Droge, school custodian (gro.naitsirhcada@egordj).
Now You Know
After photos are taken, watch for an email from Ada Christian School containing a link, password and detailed instructions for ordering photos.
Scheduled for Aug 28 - Aug 30. The photo schedule is:
Tues Aug 28 – KW, KD, 5A, 4C, 4D, 4S, 8th grade
Wed Aug 29 – 1B, 1G, 1W, 5B, 2O, 2B, 2R, 7th grade
Thur Aug 30 – KP, 3A, 3S, 5C, 3C, 6th grade
Retakes are Sept 18 and Sept 19.
We are very excited to begin a new school year and to get back to singing God’s praises in Gathering Time Wednesday mornings from 9:00-9:30am.
Parents are welcome to come and worship with us however:
- Please arrive by 9:00 as students often get distracted by the clicking/buzzing of doors when parents arrive late.
- We also ask that the students stay seated with their class during the worship time, even if their parent is present.
We want to worship our Lord wholeheartedly and hope that these simple changes will encourage a more meaningful worship time for all.
-Mrs. Vruwink and the Elementary Staff
First LEGO League
The Ada Christian School FIRST Lego League will be made of up to 10 kids who research a real-world problem (like food safety, recycling, energy, etc.).
The team will be challenged to develop a solution using new knowledge and creative imagination. The team will also design, build, and program a working robot using a LEGO MINDSTORMS® kit, then complete “missions” on a table-top playing field. Teams compete against each other at exciting events where members will make new friends, show off what they have learned and invented, express team spirit, and celebrate!
Coaches: Ms. Frens and Mr. Jorgensen (veteran FLL coach and former ACS parent)
Applicants: Students in grades 4-8 (Minimum 8 and maximum 10 students)
When: Mondays and Thursdays from September-December
(may also include weekend regional competition dates TBA)
Time: 3:15-5:00 p.m.
Where: Ada Christian School Computer Lab
Fee: $300 The fee includes FIRST® LEGO® League competition application fee, t-shirts, snacks, supplies and coach stipend. All travel expenses related to competition (regional, state or world) are separate. Payment will be returned if team limit has been reached. Checks payable to JACKIE FRENS.
Sound like fun? Apply to join the ACS FIRST® LEGO® League. Club limited to 10 participants. If more than 10 applications received, applicants will be selected based on various considerations as participation requires commitment and persistence.
Check out FIRST® LEGO® League for more information.
Education Foundation Dinner - Thursday, Nov 08
A Magical Night of Wonder and Inspiration! The annual fall dinner held at the Amway Grand Plaza is the signature fundraising event for the Ada Christian School Education Foundation, which provides essential support to our school. This promises to be a magical night of wonder and inspiration as we welcome Christian Illusionist, John Michael Hinton and honor Ray and Jeannine Lanning with the 2018 Distinguished Service Award.
Watch your newsletters and mailboxes for sponsor and ticket information, invite your friends, and be a part of this great evening.
Old iPads & iPods Needed
Mrs. Boerman has loaded a few old iPods with audio books for listening. Each iPod has a bar code with one book loaded onto it and can be checked out by students just like a book.
Help us load the library with audio books for our students by donating your old iPods and other listening devices. Bring your old nanos, shuffles, or any old technology to the library.
Whatcha Doin' Out There?
This is OE-speak for getting some of the woodsy, earthy experiences of ACS students into words and pictures so you can say...
Check back in every month for our OE updates.
Back To School Picnic And Carnival
Come one and come all! Wed, Aug 29 from 6:00-8:00pm. One wristband allows your preschool through 8th grade student to play all the carnival games and rides. Buy your wristbands early and save! Advance purchase wristbands are $12 while wristbands sold at the door are $15. We will have wristbands available in the office Aug 27-29.
Direct Your Dollars
All coffees will be held in the ACS Outdoor Ed Woodshed from 8:00-9:00am. Childcare provided for K-4th grade class coffees. There will be signups the first week of school to have a few parents from each grade bring food.
Sept 11 – Kindergarten class coffee
Sept 12 – 1st grade class coffee
Sept 13 – 2nd grade class coffee
Sept 14 – 3rd grade class coffee
Sept 18 – 4th grade class coffee
Sept 19 – 5-8th grade class coffee
Fall soccer begins Sept 08. Sign up to play! Registration deadline is Aug 24.
Running club will be Wednesdays, Sept 05, 12, 19, 26, Oct 3. 3- 4:15. Email Coach DK to sign up (gro.naitsirhcada@enielkeds).
Want more details about PurePlay? Visit our website.
Aug 23 – First Day (Half Day)
Aug 28-30 – Picture Day
Aug 31-Sept 03 – No School (Labor Day)
Junior Cheer Program
ATTENTION ALL GIRLS IN GRADES PK-6: The 24th annual GRCHS Fall Junior Cheer program is back! This year, the Junior Cheer clinics will be held on Monday, Sept 10 and Monday, Sept 17. Registration takes place immediately prior to the Sept 10 clinic from 3:30–4:00pm. Clinics will be held in the Quest Center at Grand Rapids Christian High School and will begin at 3:50pm. and end at 5:15pm. The Junior Cheer game is scheduled for Friday, Sept 21, which also happens got be Homecoming against the Forest Hills Eastern Hawks!
If you are unable to accompany your daughter at the first clinic on Sept 10, you may pre-register by contacting Varsity Cheer Coach, Jacquie DeJonge (616.949.7516).