Ada Connection – May 11, 2016
We LOVED hosting our Annual Grand Friend's Day!
From one generation to the next.....
“Faith. Strong.” Friday – May 13
All students, staff and parents are encouraged to wear their ACS gear to school this week Friday, May 13. Watch next week’s Ada Connection for a picture or two of our school spirit!
Become an ACS Host Family!
Isn't it nice to see a friendly, familiar face when you start something new? We have host families to welcome new families to ACS. Would you consider being a host family for the upcoming school year? As a host family you introduce yourself to an assigned family that has a child entering the same grade as yours. We encourage you to welcome them, serve as a resource and attend the Ice Cream Social in late August. This event is hosted by the ACS Service Committee to welcome all kindergarten families and new families at ACS. Please sign up to be an ACS Host Family today!
Now You Know
ACS Walk-A-Thon – May 13!
Get ready to walk! Our children will be participating in the ACS Walk-A-Thon on the morning of Fri, May 13 (same day as Field Day). Donation envelopes came home Wed, Apr 27. Proceeds go to such items/events as:
- Teacher and room parent funds
- Offsetting school field trip costs
- The School Yearbook
- Fifth grade camp
- Music scholarships for band and orchestra students
- Books for our library
- Bibles for our 3rd graders to use through 8th grade
- Teacher wish lists
- Grandfriends’ Day and Staff Appreciation
- Back to School Picnic/Carnival
Questions? Contact Paula Bremer (ten.tsacmoc@remerbjp)
Field Day - May 13
Helpers are needed. Contact Coach DK at email@example.com if you're willing to help.
10:45-12:15pm – Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades
1:15-2:45pm – 3rd and 4th grades
A Day on the Green: Monday, May 16
Join us for 18 holes of golf (four person scramble) on the beautiful courses of Egypt Valley Country Club on Monday, May 16.
Prizes will be awarded to 1st and 2nd place men, 1st place senior men (65+), 1st place women, and 1st place co-ed. Not a golfer? Volunteers are needed too! There will also be a reception and silent auction. See more information at: www.grcs.org/golf
Outdoor Education Information Night – May 17, 7:00-8:00pmRSVP’s appreciated.
Dear ACS Families,
Brian and Teresa Rauch have four children at ACS: Lucy (K), Asher (1st), Clara (6th), Desi (7th). They also have three older children. Teresa was recently diagnosed with ALS and the disease has progressed quite quickly. Some of you learned of her diagnosis and asked if there are ways to help now and for the summer.
- Gift cards: Meijer, McDonald's, Subway, Wendy's or gas cards
- Summer "gift" bag lunches: Mac and cheese, bologna, bread, pb&j (strawberry) spaghettios, string cheese, chips, fruit (bananas, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, black and red raspberries, seedless grapes (red & green), "cuties", mandarin oranges, applesauce, kool-aid, juice
- Meals: If you want to provide a meal for the nine family members, there is no need to ask the family. Simply contact Teresa to let her know when you would like to drop it off or have it picked up.
- Go Fund Me - Teresa Rauch ALS Fund
Contact information: Teresa Rauch (616.550.6786, moc.evil@hcuartb) 10520 Heether Rd. Belding, MI 48809
Summer Tutoring at ACS
Mrs. Overbeek will be tutoring interested students this summer. She is available on Thursdays for half hour sessions here at school. Please see the flyer (783 KB PDF) for details and email her if you are interested.
"Faith. Strong." Summer Camps – Aug 08-12, 2016
In the elementary session:
- Paper maché
- Art with clay
- Other awesome ideas from Mr. Wanner
In the middle school session:
- Finger puppets
- Circle inspired sculptures
- Poured paintings
- Maybe plein air if conditions allow
- Other awesome ideas from Mr. Wanner
For both sessions we provide the materials (and the snacks); you provide your energy, creativity and great mind. You will gain experience in art and enjoy it!
Amazing Tech Opportunities including:
- Stopmotion videos
- Game Design
- Raspberry Pi
- Ozobots and Mindstorms
- Other awesome tech activities
No matter your skill level, you will have a great time hanging out with the tech team, learning new things and meeting new friends. Snack and games every day!
Serving as unto the Lord
The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 4:10 “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” This verse helps remind me that volunteering at my child’s school is being obedient and serving my Heavenly Father. Although this is the most important reason I volunteer, I must admit that I selfishly enjoy the rewards that come along with volunteering: getting to know my children’s friends when I volunteer for recess duty, and getting to know my children’s teacher when I volunteer for room mom. Making new friends, myself, when I volunteer for various committees.
Now I know that not everyone can volunteer. Maybe you volunteer at church or in the community and your volunteer card is full. Maybe you work full time, have small children at home, or maybe this just is not the season for you as you are going through a busy or difficult time. That leaves the rest of you who I am asking to pray about volunteering for one of our open PTO committees.
Here are the openings for the 2016/17 School Year:
- PTO Officer - Assistant Treasurer
- PTO Officer - Vice President
- School Carnival - Need 2 volunteers to shadow our 2 committee leaders in 2016/17 with the expectation that they roll into the committee leader spots in 2017/18.
- School Parties - Calling all party planners! Need 1 volunteer to be in charge of planning school parties when the kids have a day off. There are plenty of ideas and connections in place, or maybe you have a great new idea!
- Charleston Fall Fundraiser - 1 or more volunteers to lead this committee.
- Rummage Sale - 3 or more committee members. This is a fundraiser that has raised between $6000 - $12,000 in past years for our PTO but was put on hold due to lack of volunteers. It would be nice to bring this back.
- Curriculum Enhancement - Need 1 or more volunteers to serve on this committee. This committee helps bring in special groups to enhance what the children are already learning - no education background needed. Many contacts already in place - if you have questions, email or call Julie DeKoster.
- Room Parent Coordinator - Need 1 volunteer to coordinate all aspects of the room moms.
Questions? Call or text Dawn Raymond (616.238.6606)
Moms in Prayer
Please join us Thursday 8:00-9:00am in the office conference room as we pray for our children, their teachers and the ACS community. This week we will be praying specifically for 8th Grade/8th Grade Graduation and we remember that God is faithful.
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God.
–Colossians 1:9 -10
Questions? Contact Laura Cawley (616.425.9728, moc.oohay@57_csarual)
Come join other dads on Friday mornings at 8:00am in the rear conference room of the office as we explore our call to be faithful men of Christ. We are dwelling with the Word in the Book of James, with noted author Francis Chan leading our discussion with his short video series. All ACS dads welcome!
Questions? Contact Andy Anderson (616.325.6116)
May 13 – Walk-A-Thon and Field Day
May 23 – 5th/6th Grade Band/Orchestra and 5th Celebration Night
May 30 – No School (Memorial Day)
June 02 – 8th Grade Graduation
June 03 - Last Day (dismissed at 11:30am)
June 03 - No Forest Hills 11:30am transportation
Aug 24 – First day of school (dismissed at 11:30am)
Sep 02-05 – Labor Day Weekend
Sep 26 – No School (Professional Development)
Oct 19-21 – No School (CEA Convention)
Nov 23-25 – No School (Thanksgiving Break)
Dec 21-Jan 02 – No School (Christmas Break)
Jan 03 – School Resumes
Jan 23 – No School (Professional Development)
Feb 17-20 – No School (Winter Break)
Mar 30-Apr 07 – No School (Spring Break)
May 05 – Grand Friends Day (dismissed at 11:30am)
May 08 – No School (Professional Development)
May 29 – No School (Memorial Day)
Jun 07 – Last Day of School (dismissed at 11:30am)