Ada Connection – Dec 02, 2015
Ada Christian School Heads Outdoors
The roots of Outdoor Education have been growing at Ada Christian School for many years, and thanks to a generous donation, we are working on plans to integrate a Christian Outdoor Education program that will significantly change the landscape and experiences for all of our preschool through eighth grade students at ACS. The improvements are also aimed toward providing beautiful, educational spaces for community members.
Beginning in the fall of 2016, ACS plans to implement an extensive outdoor education program that is multidisciplinary and multi-sensory, enhancing education for every one of our students. Settled in 37 acres of beautiful land -- including wooded areas, wetlands and open spaces -- our school is taking full advantage of our numerous venues for outdoor learning experiences. Following are just some of the spaces we are hoping to transform:
- Students and teachers, along with some professionals, are currently hard at work building a rustic structure with recycled 100-year-old timbers that will be used as an outdoor classroom and can double as an amphitheater.
- Some of our manicured lawn will be converted into a variety of garden beds, prairies, and natural habitats for wildlife.
- Students recently cleared an overgrown sandy area which will become a place for them to build scaled topographical models of specific geographic areas, such as the state of Michigan.
- Nearby, an open field is the future location of a pioneer homestead replica with visions of a student-built Native American village in the adjacent wooded area.
- A garden hoop house/greenhouse is planned, which will provide students with an extended growing season and space to experiment with traditional and hydroponic gardening. Homegrown salads and strawberries could make it to the lunch menu as soon as next year.
- Our students currently help maintain the Hike n’ Bike trail that encircles the school property. Their next challenge is to find ways to make the trail interactive so that community members can enjoy it, too, and learn interesting facts along the path.
Complementing the wide variety of spaces for hands-on outdoor learning experiences, there are plans for an Outdoor Education classroom and greenhouse. This building addition of approximately 3,000 square feet would be used by preschool-through-eighth-grade students to enrich and connect lessons across each subject area. If plans are approved, ACS will work to break ground on this addition in March with the goal of completion in August 2016.
ACS students currently enjoy outdoor educational experiences that include Zoo School for fourth graders, survival camp for fifth graders and a rustic camping experience on the shores of Lake Michigan for seventh graders, to mention a few.
We are committed to educating the whole child – mind, body and soul in community as we equip students for service in God’s world. Heading outdoors leads to wonder and awe of our creation and, most importantly, our Creator.
Balance is always important for a healthy life; and, in a world filled with technology, it makes sense to help our students balance "screen time’"with "green time."
Report Cards & Christmas Programs!
Our hallways and classrooms are beginning to look a lot like Christmas. What a gift to share the true joy of the season with our Ada Christian Family. Last week we enjoyed a very special evening of thanksgiving in celebration of our Ada Christian School Education Foundation. So many have worked so faithfully for so many years to give a gift that will keep on giving for generations to come. A special thank you to this year’s dinner committee.
This week we are thankful for the diligent work of our teachers and students. We have completed our first trimester of the school year and you will see report cards coming home with your students. It has been a privilege to partner with you and we look forward to the next chapter in this year of growing and learning together.
Next week we will be led by our 1st - 4th graders in a joyous celebration of the gift of Christmas and the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Children are the best tellers of this story and you are invited to join in the celebration on Thursday, Dec 10th at 7:00pm. There will be more detailed information coming your way from Mrs. VandenBosch and your child’s classroom teacher.
The following week our middle school students will bless us with their sharing of the joyous sounds of the Christmas season. Mark your calendars now and plan to join us on Tuesday, Dec 15th at 7:00pm.
Babysitting at ACS – 8th Grade Class Fundraiser!
Friday, Dec 11, the 8th grade class will be hosting a night of babysitting for ACS families from 6:00-9:00pm. Children ages 4 through 5th grade are invited to play games in the gym, do crafts, and even watch a movie with many of their 8th grade friends. This event is a fundraiser for the 8th grade class trip in May.
PTO Volunteer Page
Could you volunteer? www.adachristian.org/volunteer
Christmas Shop Needs Your Help
- Our 3rd Annual ACS Christmas Shop will be Dec 10 and 11.
- We need a few more helpers to set up, work registers, wrap gifts, and help the students select their gifts for their parents and siblings.
- A note will be sent home with your children with all the details very soon!
- To volunteer for this fun event, go to www.adachristian.org/volunteer. Thanks to the many parents who have already signed up!
- Last year, gift cards to local businesses sold well. If you have or know of any business willing to donate gift cards for $10 or less, please contact Brecken Grieve (moc.liamg@eveirgnekcerb)
Moms in Prayer
Please join us from 8:00-9:00am in the office conference room as we pray for our children, their teachers and the ACS community. This week we will be praying specifically for the 7th grade, Christmas Programs and PTO Gift Shop as we remember that God is the King of Glory.
Lift up your heads, O you gates; be lifted up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle.
Questions? Contact Laura Cawley (425.9728, moc.oohay@57_csarual)
Daddy Daughter Dance
Mark your calendar for the 2nd annual Daddy Daughter Dance. This year’s dance will be on Friday, Feb 5. There will be more details to follow.
Dec 04 – No Forest Hills Bus Transportation (AM)
Dec 10 – Elementary Christmas Program (Grades 1–4) at 7:00pm
Dec 10-11 – PTO Christmas Gift Shop
Dec 15 – Middle School Christmas Program (Grades 6–8) at 7:00pm
Dec 21-Jan 1 – Christmas Break
Jan 25 – No School (In-Service Day)
Jan 28 – No Forest Hills Bus Transportation (PM)
Jan 29 – No Forest Hills Bus Transportation (AM and PM)
PurePlay (PK-4th grade)
Basketball signups close Friday, Dec 11.
Wildcats Athletics (grades 5-8)
For all up to date announcements, schedules, sport sign-ups please visit our ACS 5-8 Athletic Website at: www.adachristian.org/wildcats
The 5th and 6th grade basketball season is off to a great start, schedules have been released and we are looking forward to watching the upcoming games! The 7th and 8th grade season will begin this week.
Sports Physicals: If your son/daughter is playing winter basketball sports physicals must be turned in before the 1st day of practice.
Competitive Cheer Invitation
Attention Junior Cheerleaders! You are encouraged to attend our Friends & Family event next Monday, Dec 7, at 7:00pm in the Quest Center at Grand Rapids Christian High School!
- The Varsity Competitive Cheer team will practice the performance of their three rounds of material before their season begins
- The Middle School Competitive Cheer team will also practice their material
- For both teams, this will be the first time on the mat, and for many of the girls, the first time ever performing on the mat!
Please come and support the girls and see what Competitive Cheer is all about! Admission is $1/person.