Fifth grade at Ada Christian is faith-filled, fun, and is all around fantastic! We work hard academically... studying new concepts in math and science, learning how to be better writers, but we also play hard, have T-time (our chapel time) and our off-site camps. We strive to build and strengthen relationships between teacher and student, with peers and, more importantly, with God.
Some academic highlights are Social Studies Simulations like Discovery 2 (Explorers), doing Tech Olympics, and learning about fractions, decimals, and graphs in math. In Bible, we start out with the Old Testament, move on to learning about our world through the Hunger unit, and spend second semester working on our Jesus Project.
In Fifth grade you can expect your child to be challenged, appreciated, and cared for within a community. We desire to teach the kids about the Christian journey and taking the "hard, but right way" which happens with a relationship with Jesus. We love this age group and love being a part of fifth grade.
- Classification of Living Things
- Life Cycles on the ACS property (Outdoor Education)
- Wetlands and other Ecosystems
- Matter and basic Chemistry
- Decimals – place value, rounding, and all four operations with decimals.
- Fractions – comparing, ordering, adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions.
- Expressions and Patterns – order of operations, numerical expressions, and graphing ordered pairs.
- Geometry – classifying polygons, building three-dimensional figures, and computing area and volume of various figures.
- Measurement – metric system, and measuring mass and capacity.
- Continue to strengthen reading comprehension skills through reading to self, teacher read-alouds, and reading units
- Review formal grammar skills and focus on using correct grammar in reading and writing
- Increase writing stamina through daily journals as well as work on formal writings such as personal narratives, persuasive essays and informational writings throughout the year.
- Use the Sitton spelling curriculum
In Bible, we start out by studying the Pentateuch. By this point most of the 5th graders have heard the stories of the Patriarchs and the covenants that God made with His people. We dig a little deeper and try to discover what God was revealing to His people then and how that can shape our faith today.
In November and December we move on to talk about our world and it's people through our Hunger Awareness unit. Each 5th grader is assigned an identity from a first, second or third world country.
The second half of the year is spent on our Jesus Project. This is the first time that the CSI curriculum moves on to the New Testament. Through a series of readings, writings, illustrations and plays, we look at the miracles, parables and teachings that Jesus used to teach His people.
Physical Education is offered two times a week for 30 minutes each. In 5th grade our focus is on gaining the knowledge and practicing the skills needed to play different sports and activities. An exciting experience in 5th grade is tackling the game of lacrosse.
- 1:1 Computers
- Survival Camp and Unit
- Spring Outdoor Education Camp
- Rice Week and Water Walk
- 5th grade Symphony Field Trip
- BOB (reading) Extravaganza
- Tech Olympics